Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Maows Return



Today is the 5th of August.  August 5th. Fully into summer. On our way to fall.  At this moment I am settled.....out of the way of fear and danger.  

      The maow returned this morning after being gone all night and day yesterday.  I was sick at heart. All I could do was read, Aub would have been proud because I am almost through with The Other Boleyn Girl which has taken me more than a month to read.......sporadically! 

          I didn't think I loved her.  I mean, I knew I loved her, but I figured that when the day came that she was either killed by a coyote or died of extremely old age, the maow would fade into oblivion and I would be just fine about it.  

        I didn't think that I would settle into depression, barely able to think straight over a cat that I really never wanted and didn't ask for.

          Heather called yesterday morning from work to tell us that we better go looking for her because Whit heard her screaming the night before like she was being murdered. 

           I was sick.  I looked in all the bushes in the back and side yard....well as good as I could since they're very dense and we do live in a forest.  Calling all the while for her.  I told Nate he finally got his wish, that the coyotes finally got her.  He denied that he had ever said that...........AS IF!  I have multiple witnesses as to his indifference (if that is even the right word).  
         I got up this morning and went out the sliding door of our bedroom.  I looked around to see if there was blood or any sign of struggle in the dirt around the house.  I really felt sad at heart. Now that she's gone, I don't have any more of my own animals. So far since we've been here we've lost a horse, a donkey, two dogs and then I thought the maow!  

        I went upstairs, heated me up a cup of coffee and began another day of depression by reading my book.  I heard Nate coming up the stairs.  He says to me........"the cat came back last night".  I said "what?!".  "Yeah, I heard her maowing early this morning wanting to come in but the window in the garage wasn't open enough for her to jump in so I got up and opened it wider for her. He says..."go call her".
         
        I ran down the stairs calling Mee-Maow, Minni Maow....... and she answered.  I just started to bawl.   I didn't know I loved her that much.  I didn't think she would have such a pull on my heart. 
        
         I hugged and loved her.....well, as much as she would allow as she hasn't ever been very loving.  Dumped her old cat food and got some fresh water all the while crying my eyes out with happiness that she was back and hadn't been tortured and eaten by a coyote.  

         I went back upstairs and Nate was fixing us each  a piece of toast and the cat came to the stairwell opening.  She stood there looking at both of us and maowing.  Nate called out to her.  I could see he was relieved too.  In fact, I kind of heard a little love in his voice for her.  

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

She is a good cat. I really would have taken her - and wanted to - when I got married...I will trade you....my big stinky dog for your matty cat...deal?

Lipstick and Hangnails said...

Your big hairy dog that thinks she is a chihuahua is not as unloving as the maow but I guess I've kind of settled into keeping her for the duration. No deal for now! But thanx for asking!