Monday, July 28, 2008

Reunion

We returned from Utah and our visit with our families and it was such a wonderful trip!  I found myself holding a lot of anxiety largely because I knew it was a short trip and there were so many people I wanted to talk to.  I'm kicking myself though because I really did want to take an updated picture of Moriah, Aub, Kateka, Tazia and Heather and I didn't remember to do it. All the excitement of seeing everyone I guess, made me forget. It amazes me how much love I have for all these people.  It's been so long since we've all gotten together. My niece Tiffany and her mom Janeal worked hard and invested a lot of dollars into it.  They bought a water slide complete with a little pool and water guns, they also had a little jumping house the kind that fills up with air and the kids can jump on.  There was a volley ball game, baseball game and horseshoes.  They also passed around some squirt guns which I think grandma Veloy was having far too much fun with secretly squirting everyone.  Along with all the good eats, it was really an amazing trip.  I am very grateful to Janeals family for going all out to make the event so wonderful.  

I got pictures of Nate H., Nate J. and Brandon all trying to take Moriah down to get his cell phone so they could dump him into the kiddy pool.  Three guys couldn't do it!  It must have been the army suit he was still in!  Cuter than cute was Claralynne manning the pool squirt gun and she aimed it at the commotion like she was breaking up a fight.  Hilarious.

What's funny is that our family parties used to be held at Veloy and Earls house in Bluffdale. They had six kids with all their kids and we used to fit in that house all of us.  That couldn't happen now there are way too many people.  I always looked forward to having dinner and then later gathering around the piano and singing songs.  My own family didn't know how to play an instrument so that never happened at my home growing up.

Time just rolls along......... us along with it.  Loralee's son is 14 years old. I remember when he was born.  Andreah has 5 kids...she surpassed me! Jill is expecting her 11th! Wow! I remember when she and I were expecting our kids at the same time, she pregnant with Richie, her first child and me with Heather, my second.  Richie is married, Heather grown up and working as a teller in a bank.  When did our kids turn into adults? Hell, I'm a mimi twice!

And wasn't that short lived! What you say?  Seeing my grandkids for 5 minutes before they were wisked off back to Michigan.  My heart breaks just thinking about it.  Aub says she traveled 5 hours for a family reunion in Bryce Canyon and this is the second time she didn't get to see the canyon.  That's nuts!  I could have been playing with my little grandgirl and her brother all that time.    

I have to say that for me, there isn't anything better than family.  Even with it's ups and downs, there are so many people that love me and that I love back that my heart fills up with joy at the thought of it.  Many times I felt like I was sitting in the back of the class, just watching the action around me but not really feeling like I was seen or a part of what was going on.  Somehow that has changed, and I do feel seen, and I do feel heard.  I'm not sure how that happened but I'm glad it did.  Maybe it was my nieces saying they loved me and how much fun I was with them growing up jumping on the tramp with them.  Maybe it is my nephews who wrap their arms around me and say how nice it is to see me.  I've struggled to feel like an aunt to my spouses family because I am not blood related.  But, I didn't feel that at all this time around.  I really felt I counted for something and that means alot to me. 

I miss Utah.  I miss the heat of summer. We went swimming at my sister Lori's house, the first time this year for me.  I ate Utah salt and pepper corn, spent a day at Mill Creek smelling the pine and trees.  I can't believe how much the valley is expanding, I hardly recognize where I am
in HERRIMAN! Go figure!  It definately doesn't have the same feel in Riverton where I grew up. That, I can truly say, is one reason living here in Colorado is nice.  There is growth, but my heart doesn't take a hit when the open space or field becomes a mall.  Although I know it will happen here too.  I only pray that the zoning keeps things around me at 35 acres cuz then there won't be housing tracs out here. 

All in all, I'm glad I went.  I'm really glad I got a spot update on how many new kids are added to our family. I am at a good point in my life, still young enough to do things and enjoy everyone.  

3 comments:

Kateka said...

It was really good to see you! I am glad you traveled home safely.

Kateka said...

My earliest memory is kind of silly. I remember in your Bluffdale house in your basement you had a spray painted dollar sign on one of the concrete walls. Every time I played with your kids, I remember the dollar sign meant X (or $ in this case) MARKS THE SPOT, and we always thought there was burried treasure there, which meant every time we played we were pirates. So I guess my earliest memory doesn't necessarily involve you (sorry) more your home.

Tiffany said...

It was so nice to see you! The reunion was a blast. Need to do it again. Although not many people are wanting to pull it all together. I couldn't imagine why. Hmm anyway.. I was wondering if you would e-mail me the pics you got of the reunion? I got some, but it would be nice to see what you were able to take since you are more of a camera whiz. :) I am working on getting everything posted. My camcorder is not cooperating very well though. I am still having a hard time getting the video up on the site.