Sunday, August 17, 2008

Weepy


Stay awake 
Don't rest your head
Don't lie down upon your bed 
While the moon drifts in the skies
Stay awake, don't close your eyes


Though the world is fast asleep
Though your pillow's soft and deep
You're not sleepy as you seem
Stay awake, don't nod and dream
Stay awake, don't nod and dream............

This song is among the few songs I've learned to play on the piano and I was very proud of myself for learning it.  It is such a sweet song. 


Don't you just love Mary Poppins?  And Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!  And The Sound of Music!
These movies just bring me such a feeling of peace and comfort.  


We've been watching Chitty  and Mary Poppins today and I have been feeling weepy throughout the movies and haven't been able to figure out why.  I mean, REALLY!!! 


These movies shouldn't make one feel sad!  But they have made me sad for two reasons.  


One... My children are grown and these movies remind me of them being small and still in grade school and Jr High.  And...


Two... It lets me know that I DID provide a home for my children that was safe, and warm and good.


My confidence has lapsed, partially from living here. Not that being here doesn't have many positive things about it,  but some things that have happened here have given me the feeling that I have made poor choices as a parent to allow my children to learn for themselves, or that my parenting hasn't been up to someone else's expectations, or that I am NOT DOING IT RIGHT....or.....Haven't DONE  it right. 


But I have wonderful children who are upstanding people.  Yes, they make mistakes, but just name me one person who hasn't! I have made and continue to make mistakes. 


I love my kids.  And I do provide for them the best way I know how.  Not only in the way of putting food on the table, but in allowing them to choose for themselves the way they will go.  I don't stand over them and expect them to be perfect.  How else will they grow if someone is always making decisions and choices for them that they need to make for themselves?


So, hats off to Mary Poppins and Burt who still bring me back to my own childhood, and who made me see tonight that I am a good parent and a good person.