Friday, August 22, 2008

Just Updates

Roy and Earl have been here for one week.  They leave tomorrow.  It has been nice to have them here.  I'm sure Earl has needed the break from the rat race he's been in of late. 
We haven't seen the owners of this home for more than 2 months.  Utah is their current place of residence as they are staying with their daughter.  I miss them. 


The one I feel sorry for is Heather.  She's been kind of a vagabond for a while now.  The girl she moved in with almost a year ago was a psycho and Heather had to get out ASAP!!  I mean the girl came unglued when she found Heather had used one of her Q-tips!  Really!!  She has used all kinds of profanity and tried to dictate to Heather who she could have come over.   Heather has been the one to be the most responsible with her rent, electricity and cable payments and has had to continually remind this girl that her portion of the electricity needed to be paid or it would be shut off.  This roommate has been late on her bills and has had the ka-hoe-nas to tell Heather who she could have visit!!!  So Heather fled and has been here in Larkspur ever since May 31st.


She's driving 80 miles every day to to her job.  I was really surprised when she brought up the idea to move back home.  In all actuality, I was jumping up and down for joy on the inside and pretended not to get my hopes up on the outside because I was afraid of scaring her off with my excitement.  I think she could go to school and not worry so much about other bills if she'd stay here. 


So she decides to move back in and we go to the Springs to get the rest of her stuff and then she promptly loses her space to our guest.  Right after she had cleaned and organized the room to her liking! Poor thing.  She really is the most responsible person I know about her debts and obligations.  I feel really bad for her inconvenience.  Not that she'll die or anything but.......!  She has expressed her dismay at her current situation.  I can feel for her but can do nothing about it.  
My fear is that our current standing will be proposed as a permanent thing in the future and I don't know where we will fit everyone.  I'm not trying to be rude, but, this isn't exactly the idea I had in mind when we moved here originally.

On another note, I am reading another one of Ruth Reichl's books entitled "Tender at the Bone".   I checked out her book "Comfort Me with Apples" too (it's next on the agenda).   Ruth is a wonderful writer and can make your mouth water with her description of different foods she tries and makes.  And the fun thing about all her books is the recipes she gives you after she talks about the food she just enjoyed.  

 The first book I read of hers was Garlic and Sapphires.  Oh my gosh she is a hoot.  She starts out writing about the new job she landed as the New York Times restaurant food critic and how she is quickly recognized by the person sitting next to her on the plane to New York.   After realizing that all the restaurants would stand at attention and give her their very best if they knew who she was, she decides to go "under cover" and recreates herself as a multitude of personalities visiting New York's finest restaurants.  Her characters are hilarious and this is based on her life!

  
She is currently the editor for Gourmet Magazine and the book I'm currently reading is about her life growing up.  I envy that she has lived her life.  Without worry of judgement and gone forth without fear......well.... too much fear.   It would be really awesome to meet her!  

No comments: