Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Inauguration of our 44th President Barack Obama

It brings me to tears, my heart is full, that I was witness to the inauguration of the first black president in our Country.  We have come from enslaving the black man, to making him president of our nation.  

How far we have come.
How far we have yet to go.

I am truly proud to live in this day.




This bible was used in the inauguration of Lincoln.   If there had been inclimate weather, it would not have been able to be used. Michelle Obama carried it until her husband was sworn in. How cool it is that she got to hold it.
President Lincoln who freed the slaves and our first black president. How many years did it take? How long has the black man been oppressed and lived through racism and hate?  








School children from Lucknow India wear masks honoring Barack Obama as they take out a procession to mark his inauguration. Have you ever seen our school children marking the inauguration of another countries new leader? Pretty cool.
French newspapers mark this historic day.

What a cute family.  I had to wonder if these girls had a clue as to how important this day was for their father and themselves.

I worked yesterday and didn't blog my sentiments on the day of the inauguration of our new President, Barack Obama.  I was truly touched by his inauguration speech and plan to go back to my DVR recording and write down some of the poignant things he said.

I absolutely loved the benediction.  Civil rights leader Reverend Joseph E. Lowrey's final words will stick in my head and heart forever. The entire prayer was wonderful, but his closing remarks made me laugh at the end of this historic day. You can read his entire benediction here http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/863605.html

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around...when yellow will be mellow...when the red man can get ahead, man: and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen."

President Obama has his work cut out for him with all that he faces in our nation battered by recession, wearied of war and hungry for a change after eight years of George W. Bush in the White House.  I fear that in just a short time, people of our nation will forget just what state our nation was in before Barack took office and try to blame him for it's ills.

I cried during his speech.  In no way do I feel that just by having him in office will he alone, be able to clean up the mess our nation is in.  I mean really, how can anyone believe one man can clean up after a tornado such as the one he has stepped into. No... not just a tornado.....A HURRICANE, TORNADO, CYCLONE-BURGULAR just ransacked our home and left us in such a state of disrepair that it is illogical to believe one person alone can even make a dent in it. 

At least I have a bit more hope for our nation now.  At least we will be able to listen to speeches where our leader will sound like he got past second grade and won't trip on his words making our nation look like a bunch of babbling idiots. 


No comments: