Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Pika the Pup

We got a puppy last Sunday.  She's a Rat Terrier and last night we finally agreed on the name Pika (pronounced PEEKA as in Pika-boo!) She weighs only 1.9 pounds and has a lot of spunk for her size. The first night we got her scared me so bad I almost called the sellers the next morning to see if they would take her back as I couldn't see how we were going to potty train her and get her to sleep at night.  I feared Nate would be angry because this training time would halt his working on finishing the gym.  I didn't know how I would be able to get her trained and work full time without his help.  

I apologized because I've finagled him into things like kids, and dogs and houses before he was ready before, and I didn't really give him much choice in this matter either.  But she was there and I wanted a dog.  I had planned to wait until spring when things would be more convenient. But I saw her picture online and I had the money now so I got her. 

Heather, Nate and I traveled to  Colorado Springs and met the owner  half way as he was from Pueblo to bring her to us. We met in the Target parking lot.  It almost felt like a drug deal or something. Rich handed the puppy over to Nate and Heather to get her out of the cold and while they walked over to the car, I pulled out a wad of cash and handed it to him.  His hair, beard and mustache were gray and he wore a black vest and cowboy hat.  He seemed really nice and in the pause in his speech he would make a clicking sound.  I thought it was kinda cute.

He gave me a little bag of goodies for her which included some of the food she's used to, a collar, a leash, a chew toy and her papers with the parents picture on it.  We went to Petco right away to get a small kennel and attracted everyone in the store with our new little bundle of joy. She was shaking so bad from the cold the next thing we bought was a sweater.  After making our purchases, Nate and I went home and Heather went to see Parker.

Nate had our puppy in his jacket and I wanted to hold her so bad I could taste it, but I wanted him to bond with her and her with him, so I tried to sit still and act like I wasn't jumping out of my skin to hold her.  I sat very patiently waiting for him to offer her up to me but he didn't so my impatience took over and I fetched her for myself but my jacket wasn't as loose so I couldn't bundle her up and she wasn't as warm so I gave her back. 

Everyone is now taking turns with the baby.  Watching her, playing with her, and having her sleep with them, sharing responsibility of taking care of her.  

She's so small, it would be easy to crush her under foot, so we are having to take special care when she's out and about the kitchen.  

We're all in love with this new little bundle.  I'll post pictures of her tomorrow and show off our new Christmas present.


No comments: