Monday, December 3, 2007

Tea Time

I have a new love for loose leaf tea, namely, Jasmine. Jasmine has an aroma I can't describe and the smell alone wakes my spirit. I think loose leaf has a much fresher taste. Here is my new infuser. It's a three piece set. The tea leaves are placed in the smaller glass cup that fits inside the actual tea cup. Then once the water is poured inside, the tea filters through the leaves and into the cup, leaving the leaves behind. Tea should not be steeped much longer than three to five minutes or it becomes bitter. Jasmine has a time limit of three minutes or I can't drink it.




Making tea in my new tea infuser is fun and cool to watch.

"There are multiple kinds of teas and the Tea is harvested after each flush - the sprouting of the top two leaves and bud. The top two leaves and bud are hand plucked and then processed into any of the four types of tea, which are Black, Green, Oolong, and White.
Black tea is withered, fully oxidized (heated) and dried. Black tea yields a hearty, amber-colored brew. Some of the popular black teas include English Breakfast, and Darjeeling.
Green tea skips the oxidizing step. It is simply withered and then dried. It has a more delicate taste and is pale green / golden in color. Learn more about Green Tea.
Oolong tea, popular in China, is withered, partially oxidized, and dried. Oolong is a cross between black and green tea in color and taste.
White tea is the least processed. A very rare tea from China, White tea is not oxidized or rolled, but simply withered and dried by steaming". (http://www.stashtea.com/)


Green tea has wonderful antioxidant effects, and has been linked to the prevention of cancer, lowering cholesterol, control high blood pressure, lowering blood glucose levels amidst other wonderful benefits. I find I cannot drink green tea on an empty stomach or I get nauseated. "Green tea caffeine taken in proper quantity stimulates every organ in the body. A cup of green tea will help clear a dull mind in the morning. It is also thought that small amount of caffeine present in a normal serving of green tea (9 mg of caffeine) can stimulate the skeletal muscles and facilitate muscular contraction." (http://www.sirjasonwinters.com/).

I want to show the teapot and cups I am going to purchase.


So from now on you can call me Auntie T, or Grammy T, or mommy T, or just T.



No comments: