Monday, December 17, 2007

Life is Fragile








News of the death of singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg has brought me to tears. I really loved his music and am sad that he has gone. But more than that, it causes me to reflect on how very fortunate I am to still have my father. Dan died of prostate cancer after battling it for three years. My father underwent prostatectomy for prostate cancer only six months after the death of his wife, my mother, and he did it alone. He is currently cancer free. I love my father so much and can't even look down that road when I'll have to say good-bye to him,
(not just because I'll have to figure out what to do with the monstrosity of garbagical items I'll have to go through) because he has been such a pillar of love and strength to me in my life.

Dan has written so many songs that have touched my heart. The kind of song you hope to hear on the radio again and again. "Same Old Lang Syne" and "Leader of the Band" and "Longer Than" have always been some of my favorite songs. In fact I was just listening to "Same Old Lang Syne" on the radio the other day driving down the road. I can't even describe how much I love that song. It is probably one my favorites. It takes me back to high school with prior loves and I cry every time I hear it.

Go to his website. Listen to his music and thank god you're still here.


I'm grateful my father is.

No comments: