Thursday, March 26, 2009

Snow Day

We were told from several sources at work on Wednesday to expect 8-18 inches of snow that may start either Thursday morning or Thursday evening.  So I came home, covered up the pile of wood on the west side of the house with a tarp, and hauled a load in the wheel barrel up to the front door.  Today I went to Pilates to observe a teaching session and it was lightly snowing. I went to a couple stores and when I came out my car was totally COVERED.  After traveling on the highway for a few minutes, it was apparent that we were in white out conditions and it was a total blizzard.

I passed four accidents in a row, the cars involved were totaled, truckers jack-knifed in the middle of the highway and not just one but three, an ambulance was unable to get through, giant plows were unable to get through.  It was UGLY and I was scared!!  What would normally have taken me about 1/2 hour to get home, took 2 hours. 

I called work around 6:30 this evening and asked if the nurses were being required to stay over night and I was right, they weren't going anywhere!  I had to do that a year or so ago! The news called it a "state of emergency" .  

My car got stuck half way up the hill on the driveway so I was blocking the road.  Whit and I had to pull my car up the road with his X-Terra! His car smelled like something was burned when we were done.  Damn! What a P.I.T.A!  Nate is in Utah, Earl is in Utah.  Us kids were left alone to take care of ourselves during a blizzard!  I hate feeling like a kid during emergency conditions like this.  We're bringing in wood and starting fires ourselves!  How many people do you know have to use the wood-burning stove for heat and live in the wilderness, (almost)? Well, we aren't really kids, but I feel like I am when these conditions arise.

Work was called off for tomorrow, hallelujah!  I can catch up on sleep and house cleaning.

I'm only a step or two away from ordering my reformer. I'm so psyched about it! I got the swatches to choose the color I want on it yesterday.  This is probably the hardest part about all the choices to be made. After talking to one of the instructors today, I think I may order the cadillac too. That's a whopping investment, but I'm looking forward to it. 


1 comment:

Kateka said...

Yikes! I can't believe that kind of snow. I am glad you are safe, that is so scary.