Friday, February 27, 2009

Feeling Subservient

I really love my new job, and I like one of the girls I work with.  Her name is Emily.  But the other one is one of those type A nurses who complains about dust! You know the kind of person who has to have everything around them almost perfect and wants "YOU" to be just like them. And that little person inside me just wants to throw clothes on the floor out of spite.  

Not literally but I really don't want to do anything she says just to show her who's boss.  I have more qualifications than she does in this job, but Emily practically worships her.  And so I feel like a third leg when I'm working with the two of them because they talk to each other and I'm not truly included.

We interviewed a girl for a PRN part time position today.  I was told several days before this interview that there were a certain sub-set of questions that the director wanted asked, yet I wasn't included in what the questions were,  and as I sat there (I was informed that I was to be a part of this interview process even though I obviously wasn't truly a "part of it"), both of my co-workers kept asking all kinds of questions of this girl, basically leaving me out.  Oh yeah, they looked at me at the end of the interview and asked me if I had anything to add!  I said......"Nope, looks like you two covered it".  

I don't feel I should bring up my feelings to them because it won't help the situation, but I can't help feel a bit put off because there are only the three of us running the joint and I can't help it if I feel like I'm Cinderella.

That's kind of what Connie treats me like................Connie is the one I don't really like too much. 

Emily's only 25 or 26 years old, and is running  our rehab and she too has less qualifications than I do.  It's hard on my ego.  I just keep holding my tongue.

My honey gets to hear the run down of my feelings all the time and he advises me to sit quietly and add only when I have something to add, and in the meantime, just be subservient. I have a really hard time with that, but I feel he's right.

I don't like it that I'm nearing 50 years old and I'm feeling subservient to a 20 year old and I'm a 14 year Registered Nurse and have a bachelors degree in Exercise Science.  How do you get the respect that should come with your hard work from all the time and energy that goes into your job and diploma?  I don't know.  

2 comments:

Tami said...

I don't know why people do this to others. Why they can't appreciate you for who you are and the knowledge you have to share. Our society seems to be stuck in this youthfull is better kick. It is NOT better, age is what gives us the experience and knowledge they are lacking. Sorry that really sucks to have to sit in the backseat and be left out.

I would go to coffee with you any day :)

Lipstick and Hangnails said...

Thanx for the comment. I have to agree about the age thing. It seems like when I was 18 I kept waiting for society to take me seriously (never mind that I looked about 14). Then I wait into my thirties to get that society confirmation of being smart and it didn't come. Then I get into my forties and it's the youth that are on the "smart" end, who are seen as young, supple and "with it". It seems like I slipped through the cracks sometimes. Oh well.