Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Jot of the Day

    Some bear is running around with a tummy ache!  



Leave the garbage cans out once, shame on you, 
Leave the garbage cans out twice,
Well,
Just DON'T leave them out twice!

   

    We've been bringing in the garbage cans each night and leaving them in the garage so the bears don't get into them, however, last night they were left out and.............. well, we got up to garbage strewned all over and noticed a carton of spoiled milk and some rotten berries had been DEVOURED!   Yikes. Must be slim pickins in the forest!


    We bought two feather pillows and a stainless steel garbage can for the kitchen yesterday. Total cost........$182.00!   Ouch!  Expensive garbage can.  But it is sooo nice!  Not necessarily $140.00 nice, but nice!  Like Nate said, we won't have to buy another one for a LONG time.  
Me love you long tine garbage can!   

    

    I've been using Heather's feather pillow and sleeping without getting a  kinked neck.  So we went shopping for pillows yesterday and finally found one that met up to being as close to hers as possible. Nate made fun of me carrying around Heather's pillow in the stores because her black pillowcase had a little slobber on it, but it could have been mistaken for something else.........(I'll let your imagination run wild with that one).  Heather says to me...."mom, didn't they look at you funny at Walmart carrying around the pillow?" I said I didn't care, this has to do with my aching neck and a good nights sleep!  



     So we brought them home, and I laid on my bed going back and forth between my new pillow and Heathers to make sure the new one was comparable.  It seemed just fine, so I snipped off the little tags that say it's illegal to snip off and perma-inked my name to my new sleeping companion.  Sadly, I woke with a neckache this morning and was upset because the material covering the pillow makes a crinkling noise and felt a little stiff!  I am taking into account that it is brand new and like new shoes may require some wearing in. Hopefully a few nights of punching it down and moving it around will soften it up.  I can only hope, otherwise it's off to the stores again.  They were only $14.00 so if I have to reinvest, I won't cry.  



    We are counting calories, Nate and I, and this mornings breakfast of scrambled egg whites with one egg yolk, green peppers, onions, spinach, a piece of toast with butter and a cup of joe with creamer and sugar............total calorie cost......383 cals!  I'm allotted a total of 1384 calories for a day so I can average 346 calories for one meal and have 346 to spare in snax, or 461 calories a meal total without snax.  Yesterday I drank one and 1/2 cans of Lipton tea! Haven't added up yesterdays calories but I know I went overboard cuz I snacked quite a few times.  


   This may be harder than I thought!  Not just the watching of calories, but adding them up.  Lucky for me I have two really good books to find calorie counts on.  It does help though because when you know how much is in a can of Coke, it makes you question if you would rather have the Coke or eat a meal!


   When I was a vegetarian, I never worried about counting calories.  In fact, I never even worried about losing weight!  I just never put it on!  It has steadily gotten more difficult as I've aged to lose weight.  I used to be able to just start an exercise program and before I knew it, I looked great. Now, I have to work much harder at keeping away from the treats and keeping up with the exercise program just to maintain where I am, let alone start losing weight or looking trimmer. 



No comments: