Friday, September 26, 2008

Brie and Wine

Heather and I had a wine and crackers night tonight and I must say, I'm in love with Brie.  I didn't like the smell when I first encountered it fresh out of the microwave all hot and oozing out if the white, crust-like shell.  But I've learned not to judge a food by it's smell when mom introduced me to feta cheese!  Yummy!  If I'd judged it by it's smell, I'd never have tasted it because it smelled like baby barf! I haven't judged a food by it's looks either or I would never have eaten smoked oysters.   


Have you ever looked at a smoked oyster?  It looks a bit like female genitalia! I know....kind of disgusting really. So I guess it was a good thing I started eating them in my childhood when I didn't look at them or I would not have tried them at all. 


 Sharing smoked oysters and crackers with butter has always been a cherished memory of mine.  Grandma Martin, mom and I would basically take turns forking an oyster and putting it on a buttered saltine and we'd eat until they were gone. Then we'd put the leftover oil on the cracker until we were satisfied.  When I meet up with Grandma and mom in heaven I hope there are oysters and crackers.  That's going to be something we do, share a tin of oysters!  

Hey, that's the next late night snack idea, Brie, Braeburn apples, strawberries, grapes, crackers, oysters and wine.  

The wine tonight was a Reisling and the maker was  Hogue.  Yummy.  Sweet and tart with just a slight bite. What a great mix with Brie and crackers. Mon Davi White Zinfandel would have also been a great choice with Brie!


Another fattening food I absolutely adore is marinated artichoke hearts, only it has to be Cara Mia brand or none at all!  I love them!  Sam's club sells the biggest container I've ever seen and when I feel like splurging I'll buy one!  I can make an entire meal of marinated artichoke hearts! 


Now the bad part is the choice to eat cheese and crackers with wine prior to going to bed!  I haven't really been following my usual regimen of food monitoring and checking myself  before partaking lately. I haven't really cared too much and that's NOT ME!   I haven't been exercising either because of the issue I've had with my sciatic nerve on my left leg and not having my exercise room available while it's getting a makeover. So all the hard work and progress I've been making in exercise has been slowly going to pot! 


To top the night off, I watched my recently returned DVD of Pride and Prejudice!  Thanx Aub!
We left it in Michigan in June and have seriously considered buying another copy, but the ones at Walmart are full screen and THAT IS NOT AN OPTION in my house!  Nate would absolutely have a bloomin' cow!  And, I'm afraid I'd be agreeing with him on that one because I love the movie so much, I don't want to cut out anything the director intended me to see in the first place.  More on this movie later! 


No comments: