Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Mouw's Got Mange

















We own a cat.  We aren't exactly sure of her age.  I guess-timate at about 15-16 or so years old.  I base that on the fact that we lived in our house 14 years and have been here two so that's sixteen years and the cat showed up maybe after we lived in West Valley a year or two. Maybe more. How did we acquire this cat you say?  Well here's the story.  

Lori, my sister, was visiting and rumor had it that the kids had found a cat and had it outside.  I went out back to check up on them and found Whit and my nephew Ricco in the shed. Whit was about four or five years old, Ricco about three. As I entered the shed, both boys looked up at me with fear and guilt on their faces, which changed to fascination after they saw my reaction to what they had hidden.  With fervor and excitement, both little boys lifted up the lid exposing the tiny kitty held prisoner in a food cooler.  They provided it cherries from off the tree to eat, how sweet.  This kitten was darling, beautiful yellow eyes and just a little ball of black fur.  However, I had no desire for a cat and besides, Nathan is allergic so keeping it was out of the question.

 I took the tiny black fluff ball with me into the kitchen to show Lori and tell her about the cherries and it proceeded to crap down my shoulder.  And that has pretty much been the feeling I've had for kitty ever since.  Well, with the exception that I never gave permission for the kids to keep her. I found out later that they had kept her in their room for three days before I found out she was still hanging around. 

What was I supposed to do now?  Throw her back out into the streets where they found her?  She was just a kitten!!

So, the kids promised they would change the kitty litter (ha ha ha.....every week it was "I did it last time...... I don't want to do it.......").  

Who changes the kitty litter now?  MWah!   Yes, Heather's moved out of the house now and Aub didn't take her when she got married.  Whit wants nothing to do with her.......so whose cat is she?

Definitely not Nates.  He's always teasing about how many lives she has and how he leaves the garage window open so the cat can go and mingle with the coyotes!  He will feed her after much coaxing giving me the quote from Morgan on Anne of Green Gables...........Alright, I'll look into it as soon as I can!!!  

The cat has soft, fine black hair that really builds up  growing her winter coat.  Unfortunately, she is still mostly a wild cat so she doesn't sit still long enough to be brushed and I'm not into getting severely gouged by the two good hind quarter paw claws that work (we had the front ones declawed............. I should say Nate had her declawed and fixed, another story entirely). 

Pretty much after winter was over the cat's hair was matted so bad you couldn't get a finger down to her skin if you tried.  Poor thing.  I felt bad but didn't know what to do for her and I never gave permission for them to have her soooooooo.......
 
Aub and Heather would take the cat aside and rip the fur right off of her. "You do what?"  I'd say............ "She likes it mom" they'd tell me.  They would either rip the hair off her, or they would take the scissors to her or a combo of both.  Aub and Heather would work as a team to do this, one holding her down and the other snipping away.  OMG, that cat looked so funny when they were done, leaving only the tail, head and legs with hair.  We have shaved her a couple times and I've wanted to do that here but since she hasn't had her shots, no one will do it.  So guess who's ripping out cat hair?  Here's the proof.  I got one strip off her the other day that was at least 12 inches long.  And you know what?  She does like it!  No really,  it can get a little painful and that's my signal to let up, but I get quite a lot of hair off her and she seems to appreciate it once it's gone.  Sadly, you can see all the dander that's built up under the layer of old hair.  And she licks it afterward which makes me believe it's pretty itchy under there. 

Are you thoroughly grossed out by now?  Obviously not in the medical profession are you?  

So I've almost ridded the poor cat of most of the large matted areas on her body.  The hair comes in soft and shiney.  Right now she has quite a large number of bald spots.  Poor thing.  That should have been her name instead of Mouw Mouw, or Mee Mouw, or Kitty Mouw, or Kitty Mee Mouw.  She is not unlike all the other animals we've owned who have a number of nicknames.  

Nate is always commenting on how many lives she still has which only leaves me that many springs I'll be left yanking hair out of the Mouw!!!!!


No comments: