Friday, November 23, 2007

"T" in the Morning


Where am I? How did I get here? What time is it? 7:30 A.M. I fell asleep after the movie on the family room mattress. Nate got up and went to bed, but didn't tell me to follow and now I have a neck ache from not sleeping on my own pillow. I get up and go in to the bathroom, hmmm, my hair looks pretty good having just woken up.

My slippers skid across the kitchen floor and I put the tea kettle on high to heat my water. The air is hazey and the trees are dusted with a thin layer of white. It looks cold outside. As I sit down to read my country magazines my eye catches a squirrel jump from one pine tree to the next. He scurries up the tree and my eye catches the movement of another squirrel. They are playing going round and round the tree, their tails flipping back and forth. They are so fast my eyes can't keep up.

Blue jays and woodpeckers gather round the bottom of the tree to get some breakfast from the seeds fallen out of the bird feeder on the tree and my tea kettle whistles. Better hurry before it wakes anyone else in the house.

I have chosen chocolate hazelnut tea. Non-caffeinated, dang. Oh well, it's still good. The tea bag changes the water to a nice orange-brown. Cream swirls in little circular paths until it no longer is separate from the tea and now my tea is a creamy brown. Just add sugar and sip the heat down until my whole body is warmer. No one is up to start a fire in the stove so the tea will have to be my heater.

Today is the day we shall celebrate Thanksgiving as I worked on the actual day. We will have all the regulars, turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, pie, both pecan and pumpkin, cranberry sauce, salad. Notice, salad came after PIE! I have actually had two days of this food already as my work furnished the whole meal for it's employees already. But they didn't furnish the family and that's the most important ingrediant of all. No football game today, only after thanksgiving sales and lots of traffic. I didn't buy gravy mix so I may have to venture out into the maddness. which will give me the excuse I need to go to the new store with all the decorations that just opened last week. It's only open twice a week and Fridays are one of the days it's open.

So what am I doing blogging? I need to put on makeup and get out of the house into the cold and onto the highway.

Hope your thanksgiving was grand. T

2 comments:

Kateka said...

You have very calming writing style. I like it. :)

Kateka said...

You have very calming writing style. I like it. :)