Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting Old Sucks

Nate threw out his back on the 24th after fixing fences and putting up a wood border in the garage to keep the mice out.  It really sucks because he doesn't know exactly what he did to hurt himself.  He doesn't recall anything getting overly painful while working, so pinpointing how to prevent it in the future is pretty vague.

He just woke up and walked to the bathroom and the pain caused him to bend sideways in a crooked position and he couldn't stand up straight.  I had to help him put on his shoes and when I looked up there were tears rolling down his cheeks. A feeling of panic ran up my spine. What is happening to my poor husband?

I've never known Nate to cry from physical pain.   I felt so awful, racking my brain what to do to make him comfortable, heat, pain meds, ibuprofen, positioning, but nothing worked. (We didn't try ice and I should have known to use the R.I.C.E. method: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I thought about that later.  He wasn't too excited about icing it).


This only hit home how much we need to get into and keep ourselves in shape.  Nate's injury made me realize how much we really need my Pilates machines.  I am anxiously awaiting for my Pilates lessons in March. 

Earl and Veloy got back from Utah after being gone from about April or May of this year.  Their coming back kind of put a rush on cleaning and fixing things and I know Nate felt a bit of a push to get things done in a hurry.  Earl called one day in advance to let us know they were returning. I don't know if this had something to do with Nate's injury.  

We all need physical therapy. Veloy had surgery on her hip and her knee. The doctors said she would have been bed-bound in one month if she didn't have surgery on her hip.  I'm glad she did it because she is moving with less pain now than she did before she left.  The reformer will help rehabilitate her from surgery and hopefully keep Nate from surgery. 

1 comment:

Kateka said...

Oh ouch! I hope everyone is doing better. Get well soon!