Saturday, March 29, 2008

So Here Goes

Healthy People 2010 has goals to get more people off their keesters and onto the treadmill, bike, walking path or any way to increase activity. I don't think America is even close to the goals set by this fine group of people.
I feel like a hypocrit. I talk the talk, but don't walk the walk......consistantly anyway. Not that I don't exercise. I just don't exercise enough consistantly. Something always manages to take precidence. Maybe that's an excuse. But I need to make it one of the highest priorities in my life.

Being a nurse and a fitness advocate and promoter, I feel the need to stand up and not only speak for the need to increase activity and decrease caloric intake, but to walk the walk.

These maps provided by the CDC really are motivational to me. Not only to increase my own activity but to promote the need for all Americans to find a way to become more fit and less obese.

Obesity changes from years 1985-2006 found on the CDC website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/index.htm


The percentages found on the pictures of the US are small, I hope you can understand what they mean.


These figures are based on BMI (body mass index) which is based on a calculation factoring in height and weight. A BMI from 18.5-24.9 is considered normal: 25-29.9 is overweight, and 30 and greater is obese. You can go online and find a BMI calculator and figure out where you fit in. I am just a hair into overweight but I feel very much over a hair over.
























Does this make you as sick as it does me? Our country's obesity problem is in epidemic proportion! These maps show the changes in obesity from 1985 through 2006. It shows a percentage of the nations "obesity". Mind you, this is not overweight, but OBESITY. These maps caught my eye when I was in school for Exercise Sport Science and they've stayed in the back of my mind the whole time. Look at Colorado! Still a large portion of obesity noted, but is still in the blue in 2006.

SO HERE GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how hard this is for me, even though I buy books with before and after pictures of people and I don't get all grossed out. So, please, no rude remarks cuz this is really hard for me!





What a scarey thing to do. Post half naked pictures of yourself online for all to see. Especially at your worst. But it's a way of making me stay true to myself in exercise and diet. I've got to get into shape before July. I want to look good in my "kini".
Here's the goals:

1-Get enough rest:
I went to a Fat Cells and Disease seminar in SLC on March 21 and learned that compared to those who get 7-9 hours of sleep per night, those who regularly sleep <5>

2- Monitor caloric intake/output:
To me this means being aware of everything I eat and having a basic idea of how many calories I'm eating and burning. Otherwise, how do you know where to make changes ie; increase calories burned or decrease calories taken in.
3-Exercise:
Even a low amount of exercise 10-20 minutes on the treadmill/day will help.
4-Decrease stress:
I think this may be harder for me than I care to admit, especially since I don't have total control of how good or bad my day will be at work. But I know exercise helps decrease stress.
I work three days a week, starting at 0700 am and ending at 0800pm. Get home at 0830-0845 in the evening. I seldom feel like jumping on the treadmill after work. But in the conference it was stated that even small amounts of exercise on a regular basis make big changes.

In order for me to lose the weight I want I must exercise 3-5days/wk of 30-60 minutes aerobics. I'm allowed a carbohydrate/protein mix of 1370 kcal/day which allows:
a) 38 gms Fat/day
b) 188 gms Carbs/day
c) 68 gms Protein/day
This will bring a 1.49lb/wk weight loss with the goal achieved by 7/1/08.
My weaknesses are:
1-Chocolate and sweets
2-Not knowing the grams of carbs, fat and protein that are in foods. This will be a learning curve that I hope to achieve before 7/1/08. I have several books to help out in this.
3-Difficulty keeping to my goal of exercise needed to achieve this.
I'm sure there are many many more weaknesses that I haven't mentioned, but this is a start.
So, I'm off to the races. Wish me luck!!!1

1 comment:

Kateka said...

Best of luck. Looks like you have a great plan set up, I am sure you will be successful!