Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where Were You























Where were you on September 11, 2001? What do you remember of that day and the days to follow? What were you doing? What was your initial response to the attacks?
I was driving to work at Cottonwood Hospital in the Endoscopy Unit in Murray Utah at the time. As I made my exit from the freeway I spotted a fellow worker walking away from her car. I could see something was wrong so I stopped and asked if she needed help. She was having problems with her car. We were only about 5 minutes away from the hospital so I offered her a ride. She thanked me and got into my car. I had been listening to a talk show hosted by Mick and Allen on the radio and there was a sense of something very devastating going on. They never sounded this distraught before. Something really bad has happened in New York. I didn't get the whole jist of what it was all about but as I entered the surgical waiting room of the hospital I soon learned what all the commotion was about. Live footage of the burning building in New York left all in the room wondering what on earth could have caused such a huge fire in a building so big. I didn't want to stop watching and go to work, but found as I entered the endo recovery room someone had already tuned the radio on to the story. We heard that the second tower was now hit and we all wanted to run down to were where the t.v.'s were to see what was going on. A plane had hit the second building and the first one was going down to the ground. A PLANE hit the building? Was the pilot hurt, or drugged or out of his mind. Did he fall asleep at the wheel? A PLANE hit the building! How did the other building catch fire. What on earth....??? We would trek down to where the t.v.'s were every so often. "What's going on?" Who could have done such a thing? Why?
When I got home from work I watched the news until I had to go to bed again. Every news station on t.v. was reporting about the World Trade Center Twin Towers crumbling like buildings made of cards. I had never even heard of the World Trade Center or the Twin Towers before. News reports showed people covered in dust, crying and scared, papers flying out of the buildings, people jumping out of the buildings, terror and confusion in New York City, nothing like this had ever happened in all of world history. New York restaurants and stores fronts were being plastered with posters of missing family members within hours of the disaster each with a hope someone had seen their loved one. The feeling of total chaos and devastation was something I had never witnessed in my life. Why? Why? Why?

In all this time, has that question ever really been answered? It's 2008, seven years after the "bombing" (so to speak). Speculation vs. facts. Has anybody given us a straight answer? My feelings following the attacks were that of............Please don't make any rash decisions, don't put our country at war, don't point a false finger, stay calm, don't make any rash decisions, find out WHY! I don't think they wanted to know the why. They looked for weapons of mass destruction but found none. No solid proof. But we went to war anyway, with a people who have been warring amongst themselves for years. What on earth was our president thinking? Did it ever occur that we'd never get out of war once it had started with a "warring people"? Does it matter that we are losing so many soldiers? And for what purpose? I hear mixed messages about it. Soldiers saying the people are glad we are there to save them from such a monster as Osama. The next report is from someone from Iraq cursing the U.S. for being there, causing such destruction and chaos.

Do we ever really "win" a war? How is this supposed to end? To what end? Their people don't seem to want to get along. They don't appear to want a structured government. If they don't want either of these two things, why are we fighting?

Oil anyone? Not the kind you put on your salad. Who stands to gain so much from this war? I don't feel it matters which person we elect for president, they are puppets. Our American citizens can elect someone but is a new president really going to bring peace to our country after that has happened? Is that even a possibility? We are a divided nation. Many of us who don't want anything to do with being a "killing" nation don't feel we can speak up and be heard. Like if we don't support our president in this war we aren't being true Americans. We lack the American Spirit of wanting freedom. Enslaving and killing another nation of people is not my idea of freedom for anyone. Taking what is on their land (oil) or just taking their land (Indians) is not right and can never have any true justification.

I don't feel safer in our airports. My son had to mail his cologne and toothpaste back to himself so he didn't have to throw them away, but he could take on a lighter! Gas prices are up to over $3.00 a gallon in some places. Before the war gas cost $1.89/gallon. Do you remember that? It wasn't that long ago. My government can now tap into my computer, my phone lines, read my mail any time they want because of the "Patriot Act" under the guise that I could be a "terrorist". We are losing our rights every day and our leaders are "leading the way". They aren't leaders. Eckhart Tolle is a "leader". Promoting peace and self awakening with his book A New Earth. So far he has been the only way that I've seen anyone pose a real change. The change from within. We all have power to do this. He says now is the time for the awakening. We are at crisis levels and must raise out of our beds and become aware of our surroundings, and of how our attitudes, beliefs and feelings affect the entire world. We as a people must speak up and voice how this is not only affecting us, but our fellow man both in America and Iraq.

Do you think that our president or other leaders lay in bed and ask themselves...........What have I done? Or, how are we going to get out of this? I don't think so. The only thing I can see that I have the power to do is to change my self and the person from within.

They have taken approximately 7.5 tons of steel recovered from the World Trade Center and cast it in the bow stem of a ship Christened USS New York LPD 21. The bow stem is the foremost section of the ship's hull on the water line.
The stairs that exited the World Trade Center onto Vessey Street are being moved and will eventually be placed as a memorial from 9/11.

A new building is currently being errected to replace the Twin Towers and it will be called The Freedom Tower

1 comment: