Friday, November 14, 2008

Does It Ever Get Any Better?

So I scuffed my way upstairs and put a cup of coffee in the microwave, hit the instant two minute button and walked away.  Down the hall to check on my young adults only to find a messy room with an unmade bed and no son in it and another room with a nicely made bed and no daughter in it. 

Did I miss something?  

No.  

No, I didn't get a call last night from either kid telling me where they are, where they'll sleep over or anything.

This has been an ongoing issue for each of my kids since childhood. The not telling me where they are going or where they'll be.  I have a hard time yelling at them now because one turns 22 years old today, and the other will be twenty in March.

Still, if they live here, don't pay rent, or their car insurance, don't I deserve to at least have my fears calmed by knowing where they are sleeping at night? 

I mean really.  I fix dinners and feed their friends fairly regularly, pay for electricity, food, laundry soap, toiletries, buy tires for their cars, help pay for repairs on their cars.  I help them out quite a bit. 

I've been asking for the simple courtesy of being told where they are and where they are going like FOREVER, and it just doesn't seem to sink into their tiny little skulls.  No really, this has been an ongoing issue since each child was old enough to open a door and go visit their neighbor friends.

I pretty much figure the Mr is at Tony's house. That's usually where he is.  Where Wink is I'm not sure.  She has a few girlfriends and a couple guy friends she stays at, and I figure if they have had anything to drink I don't want them driving.........AND THEY KNOW THAT!

But courtesy shouldn't have to be asked for every time they leave the house should it?

I mean, they rebel because they are over 18, so that means they are "adults" by American Standards.  So, shouldn't they ACT like adults.  This would mean, pick up their clothes, help around the house, and let their parents know if they are coming home or not if that is really the biggest request made to them?

My coffee was boiling over in the microwave, much like my temper on the inside.  Don't worry, I didn't throw anything or break a dish.  But I felt like it. 

I feel like I could threaten to make them pay for their car insurance.  This would scare them, they'd be afraid and help out around the house for a couple days.  They'd speak extra nice like, and show much more love.  But it would wear off and we'd be back to old habits.

If I bring up how upset I am to my spouse, he'll just go on and repeat how stupid I am for not making them pay their own car insurance, or how stupid I am for feeding their friends, or how stupid I am for being so undemanding of them around the house.  So I don't feel like being called stupid today.  Not to mention that I live with my in-laws, so when they get up, it's a sure bet they'll ask where the kids are, and I'll be on the defensive about my parenthood for the umpteenth time. 

It's snowing outside.  I have been dreading this since spring!  I hate driving in the snow.  I hate being cold, and believe me, this giant house gets so damn cold in the winter, I dream of California every day.  

It's the Winkers 22nd birthday today. Yeah, I know, I said that.  But what I didn't say is that I took the day off to make it special for her. I didn't even take off my OWN birthday this year. Then, she calls me at work last night to tell me that she was planning on going out to dinner with her boyfriend, then she and her friends and even the Mr and his girl friend have been planning on going ice skating.......... "but I reserved the whole morning for you mom and what ever you'd like to do!"  Right, like I want to get up early on my day off, and go out to some store or see movie before all her other plans take way. 

Like I want to rush around on my this day off.  I work thirteen hour days. This week I worked two days, have today off, work two days, one off, work two days, then have five off, then start that all over again. 

I read so many blogs by moms of small kids.  They have all these complaints about their bratty or sick kids.  If they only knew what's coming.  $1400 dollar car repairs, accidents, hospitalizations, and on and on with the expenses.

I've seen what my in-law's have gone through with their own adult children.  This had better get better or I'm thinking of running away to live on my own and stop feeding into the frenzy.

3 comments:

Kateka said...

Ugh. Kids seem awful, ha, ha. :) From the sounds of it, I think they should pay rent, not necessarily car insurance. Because, if they aren't going to help around the house and give you the courtesy of knowing where they are, they should pay $100-$200 a month in rent to you. Then they can do whatever they "want" since they are helping with the rent. And maybe secretly you can save the money for them so when they have huge car repairs or get married or whatever, you can give them the money back. I don't know... just a thought.

Kateka said...

Obviously, I would have no idea what to REALLY do in this kind of situation.

Tami said...

OHHHHHH! I would be one MAD MOM! My oldest just moved out with his girlfriend. Before he moved we had given him a deadline of when he would start having to pay rent seems he never wanted to do the chores he was assigned. But I was a mean mom (according the him all his friends parents payed for everything/did their laundry) I made him pay for the car insurance and his cell bill. Good Luck, it is a happy/sad day when they move out :)