Sunday, January 6, 2008

Another One Flys the Coup

The carpet shows stains and needs to be cleaned. It's easier to see the dirt now that her dresser is gone. The sink area is devoid of make-up and hairspray. No curling irons in the drawers. Only left-over sparkles from the eye shadow I bought her a few Christmas's ago. I put some on my eyelids. It doesn't look as good on me as it does her. No pictures of Moulin Rouge or Parker cover the walls, only blank spots and holes.

I yelled at her for making a decision about moving before she included me and made her feel bad. I didn't mean to. I just wanted to be included in her life. She has always been so independent, it's been tough getting close to her sometimes. I didn't mean to discourage her independence. I am actually very proud of her and all the things she has done for herself.

She was home for a few minutes the other day and was so happy that now she may have a chance at a job closer to where she will live. I could see a sparkle in her eyes and recalled how she mentioned that my conversation about her move made her feel she was making the wrong decision, then the interview for the job in the Springs confirmed that she was going in the right direction. I congratulated her and said it must be a sign. From that point I knew she'd be gone.

I didn't think it would come this fast. Only yesterday my Winker was sucking her thumb and dancing in my checkered skirt. Didn't she just graduate from Junior High? All those beautiful dance dresses that only a month ago I moved into her closet from mine are now with her in her new home. Her new home away from home.

I knew it was coming. She was hardly ever home. I hope she doesn't stay away forever.

I love you Heather and will miss having you live with me.

Mom

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh Mom you make me cry. I love you!

Aubrey said...

Dammit made me cry AGAIN!

Vjeppson said...

What a wonderful way to pay tribute and tell your daughter how much you love her. You're a good woman.