Monday, September 24, 2007

Old Wobbly Legs

This was the last of three days of work in a row. By the time the last of three comes, I feel like a stretched out rubber band. Nate called me yesterday at work to tell me Vic couldn't use his legs and that he got stuck in a ditch. Nate said he tried to hump Cisco, the other Rotty, and his legs became useless appendages after that. He's been having trouble with his hind quarters ever since the last time he was sick. He's lost a lot of muscle mass in his back legs, but he really looks cachectic now.

Nate and Heather tried to move him, but he kept trying to bite them. When I got home yesterday I went to see him (the dog) right away and it really hurt met to see him struggle just to move from one spot to the other. It breaks my heart, I help old people in and out of their chairs and beds to the potty all day long and I can't help this dog, whom I love, and I know he will inevitably be put down because he can't walk to get his water, food and go pee. Granted he's over 14 years old, he has cataracts, but he still has the gumption to play humpy-humpy with Cisco. We had to let Cisco sleep in the basement garage just so her smell wouldn't send Vic into a frenzy!!

I know Vic loves me. I'm the only one who dares put my face close enough to his to let him kiss me on the cheek. And he will give me a kiss when I ask him. He bit Nates face when all he wanted to do was hug him. The wound looked like a dollar sign and I took a picture of it with my camera phone. Nate now has a scar and won't go near Vic's face. As I recall, Vic bit Whit on the lip when Whit was about four years old. Vic also ate Whit's bicycle seat. We could have pushed to have Vic put down the first time he bit my boy, but I know Vic's sad and cruel history. When he was a pup, some kids beat him to a pulp, cut his legs and abdomen, smeared grease in the wounds, kicked him in the nuts so hard he swelled. The vet was amazed Vic was still alive. I can't hate him for protecting himself, or, at least feeling defensive around males.

Tonight I came home to find he is still in the same shape, dragging his old bent legs around and feeling pretty upset that Cisco can get to the water bucket and he can't. He dragged himself over to the bucket so he could have a drink of fresh water tonight. I'm not sure if I'm going to allow Cisco to sleep in the upstairs garage tonight so Vic will sleep.

It seems every time Earl goes to Utah, Vic goes spiraling downward. Earl is due to come back tomorrow and his way of putting a dog down is with a 22 rifle. I won't let that happen. I'll pay for the priviledge to ease Vic into the next life where he will frolic free and easy, lay on green grasses and never feel the pain in his legs again.

That time is probably only a matter of hours away and I can barely choke back tears with the pain and sadness of him being gone. I'll miss him, even if he nearly eats my own dog when ever they are near each other.

No comments: